Home page Picture

Home page Picture

Welcome

Hi! Welcome to my Blog. On this site I will keep you all updated on my experiences in the Israel Defense Forces as a lone soldier.


I am 17 and a half years old from Boca Raton, Florida, and it has been a dream of mine since I can remember to join the IDF. I have attended Jewish Day Schools my entire life and attribute that, as well as my zionist home and modern orthodox synagogue, as being the roots of that dream.


I hope you will find my blog interesting and as an inside look of what it means to be an IDF lone soldier... With the ups and the downs along the way.


Thank you to everyone who has helped me through this journey, and a special thank you to Garin Tzabar- the program and network of people who have helped me so much!

עם ישראל חי


Hannah Katz

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Week 2- Basic Training


Week two started with getting up before the sun on Sunday morning and traveling on many different trains back to the base. I have never experienced such chaos in my life than when I had to literally climb my way onto the train… What I mean is that there were hundreds and hundreds of soldiers sitting and standing in every empty space possible. I looked to my left and saw two soldiers with tefillin and praying - in no other country does that happen. On early morning trains in America, you’ll find middle aged workers drinking black coffee and reading the newspaper. Not here. Here, it’s a bunch of exhausted teenagers with guns, some praying, some sleeping, and some squashed against a window.



We got our guns this week and learned hours and hours about the responsibility it is to have a gun and how the gun itself works. We also spent 15 hours in the field doing all types of shooting drills. Although it was completely exhausting and not so enjoyable at points, it was a bonding experience for the girls in my unit. That night when I came back to the base, I felt emphatically exhausted but at the same time proud of myself for conquering that day.
That Shabbat we stayed on the base, and I went to Friday night services with some girls in my unit as well as a “festive” Friday night dinner. At dinner, it hit me that although I am in a tough and intense army, the officers who yell at us made Kiddush and blessed the Challah on Friday night.

This week was a hard week for me emotionally and physically - we had a lot of runs, hours in the classroom, and tests - however I learned a lot about myself in the sense that although in the moment things feel impossible, here I am, a week later, and perfectly fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment