Home page Picture

Home page Picture

Welcome

Hi! Welcome to my Blog. On this site I will keep you all updated on my experiences in the Israel Defense Forces as a lone soldier.


I am 17 and a half years old from Boca Raton, Florida, and it has been a dream of mine since I can remember to join the IDF. I have attended Jewish Day Schools my entire life and attribute that, as well as my zionist home and modern orthodox synagogue, as being the roots of that dream.


I hope you will find my blog interesting and as an inside look of what it means to be an IDF lone soldier... With the ups and the downs along the way.


Thank you to everyone who has helped me through this journey, and a special thank you to Garin Tzabar- the program and network of people who have helped me so much!

עם ישראל חי


Hannah Katz

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Week 3 - End of Basic Training and Beginning of Course


Week three was an eventful week because we went to
Jerusalem and finished Basic Training.

Going to Jerusalem in uniform, with a gun and my unit was an experience I don’t think I will ever forget. We visited Yad Vashem, Har Herzl, and the Kotel.
Every time I go to Yad Vashem, I get something different out of my visit, but this time was especially impactful for obvious reasons. At Har Herzl, I visited the graves of Michael Levine and Max Steinberg - two lone soldiers who lost their lives in battle. Seeing the overwhelming number of rocks put on the graves as well as pictures and army tags made me realize again how much all Israelis are truly here as our family. The Kotel was of course meaningful, especially because so many tour groups came up to us and asked to take pictures while continuously thanking us for our service. I remember being those tour groups, completely enamored by the soldiers!

That night when we came back from Jerusalem, we had something called a Masa - a hike in the middle of the night when we wear all of our gear and work towards a specific goal. It was a tough journey, but at the top of the mountain, each of our commanders replaced our yellow tags (representing basic training) to green and white tags (representing our course). We then had our Hashabaah (swearing in ceremony) right then and there. When I was called up to receive my gun and Tanach from my officer, I truly didn’t believe that all of this was real. That I was really swearing into the IDF. I kept looking around at the Israeli flags, the lights of our base at the bottom of the mountain, and all of the girls I am with, as tears welled in my eyes.
I also have to present a 10 minute class next week and take a test covering everything we learned last week.

I got off early this weekend (on Thursday) because as a lone soldier, I get one day a month to organize all of my bank stuff, errands, etc. I am spending Shabbat with Lilly and David at my Kibbutz and look forward to seeing my Garin Tzabar family.


No comments:

Post a Comment