Home page Picture

Home page Picture

Welcome

Hi! Welcome to my Blog. On this site I will keep you all updated on my experiences in the Israel Defense Forces as a lone soldier.


I am 17 and a half years old from Boca Raton, Florida, and it has been a dream of mine since I can remember to join the IDF. I have attended Jewish Day Schools my entire life and attribute that, as well as my zionist home and modern orthodox synagogue, as being the roots of that dream.


I hope you will find my blog interesting and as an inside look of what it means to be an IDF lone soldier... With the ups and the downs along the way.


Thank you to everyone who has helped me through this journey, and a special thank you to Garin Tzabar- the program and network of people who have helped me so much!

עם ישראל חי


Hannah Katz

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Week 5- Shavuah Shetach (Field Week)

Week 5 started off on a rough note because I caught a stomach virus right before we were supposed to go down to the field. During that week, we sleep in tents in the middle of the desert, learn all about combat tactics, eat from cans etc. At the end of the week, there's a Masa for the tag of the base (the tag everyone wears on the shoulder of the uniform). However, because of my virus, the medic wouldn't let me go with everyone & sent me home for the week. I went back to the kibbutz & went to straight to sleep for about a week! Everyone there took such great care of me- making sure I had chicken soup at all times & got to my doctor appointments. It was hard feeling so sick far away from my own bed & mom, but my family & friends in Israel took such great care of me.

At the end of the week, I started feeling better & went to Jerusalem for Shavuot. It was quite the experience being there for such a great holiday - my cousin and uncle who was just on birthright joined my sister & me which was great. We were invited out for all of the meals & when we weren't eating, I spent my time relaxing & sleeping. It wasn't the week I expected, but then again it's all apart of the experience! I'm very thankful to all my friends & family - near and far- who have been there for me every step of this journey!

I am now on the bus from Jerusalem to Beer Sheva with 99% (exhausted) soldiers who, I'm sure, feel the same as me about going back to the base this morning! It'll be a great week I'm sure. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah! I am so proud of you! Keep blogging! I am really enjoying reading about your experience. You are amazing! Thank you!
    Jodi Deichman

    ReplyDelete